INTERNSHIP APPLICATION FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT
The Mendoza College of Business (MCOB) allows undergraduate business students to earn academic credits for internship opportunities during the summer or outside of the normal schedule of classes during the fall or spring semesters.
- Students may earn one academic credit per internship; BAUG 25000 and/or BAUG 35500
- Summer internship credits are limited to rising juniors and seniors in the Mendoza College of Business.
- Students are limited to earning internship credit twice (total of 2.0 credits)
- Students must submit an Internship Application for Academic Credit found on their Student Dashboard at mendozaugrad.nd.edu. Students with F-1 Status must also apply through Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs, (ISSA)
- Students must submit a reflection paper prior to the end of the semester in which the Internship Credit is listed
- There is no cost associated with the summer internship credit however, students will initially be billed then credited for the Internship class in the summer term
- Internship credits are graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)
- Internship credits are considered Activity/Experiential and business students are limited to three such credits. Check your GPS to see if you have maxed out that block.
To qualify for academic credit, internships, whether paid or unpaid, must be a professional work experience related to the student's business major.
Internship Credit for Students with F-1 Visa Status
- MCOB undergraduate students with F-1 status have the option of applying for the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or the Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorizations.
- MCOB undergrads may apply for the CPT work authorization two (2) times however; this is strictly limited to rising juniors and seniors.
- In addition to the Internship Application for Academic Credit - students must submit applications for CPT or OPT through ISSA; information can be found at: https://issa.nd.edu/
Internship Application Procedures
- Before the start of the internship, students must submit the Internship Application for Academic Credit. This application must include a copy of your Offer Letter/Email and a Job Description.
- Students will receive an automatic email confirmation when the application is submitted and should retain this email as proof of submission.
- Students will receive a second email when/if their application is approved or if more information is required.
- Students must submit a reflection paper about their internship; guidelines and deadlines are listed below.
- After the internship - employers must contact the Internship Coordinator and confirm that the student has completed the internship successfully.
BAUG 25000 and BAUG 35500 are graded courses (S/U). To earn a satisfactory grade, students must submit a reflection paper about their summer internship experience. This paper should be between 1-3 pages (minimum 700 words) and must contain:
- Information on how you found this internship
- Description of the employment responsibilities
- Discussion of how this employment related to your major and/or business curriculum
- Professional skills and/or knowledge that you learned from this internship experience
- Description of courses that you had taken that were particularly useful in your internship. Are there other courses you wish you had taken prior to the internship?
- Discuss insights to this industry. Has this impacted your career plans?
- Recommendation for other students to do this internship and why?
Papers are to be submitted through a Qualtrics Survey
NOTE: Reflection Papers are due Friday, July 17, 2020 by 11:59 pm
NOTE: The due date is before most internships are completed. This deadline is firm - students' papers should reflect their experiences with the companies to that point.
Students must contact Dr. Gina Shropshire if company policies interfere with the requirements to submit a reflection paper.
2020 IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
- DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT: Wednesday, JUNE 17, 2020
- DEADLINE TO DROP BAUG 25000 or BAUG 35500: Monday, JULY 6, 2020
- DEADLINE TO SUBMIT REFLECTION PAPER: Friday, July 17, 2020 by 11:59 pm
QUESTIONS? Contact Internship Coordinator:
Dr. Gina Shropshire, 101 Mendoza College of Business, Notre Dame, IN, 46556, email@example.com, 574-631-6602
NOTE: All communication about the Internship will be transmitted via ND gmail. It is the students' responsibility to check their ND gmail accounts over the summer.