INTERNSHIP APPLICATION FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT
The Mendoza College of Business (MCOB) allows undergraduate business students to earn limited academic credits for internship opportunities during the summer or outside of the normal schedule of classes during the fall or spring semesters.
- Students may earn one (1) academic credit per internship (a business elective credit)
- Students are limited to earning internship credit twice (total of 2.0 credits)
- Students must submit an Internship Application for Academic Credit found on the Dashboard at mendozaugrad.nd.edu; Students with F-1 Status must also apply through Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs, (ISSA)
- Students must submit a reflection paper prior to the end of the semester in which the Internship Credit is listed
- There is no cost associated with the summer internship credit however, students will initially be billed then credited for the Internship class in the summer term
- Internship credits are graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)
- Internship credits are considered Activity/Experiential and business students are limited to three such credits. Check your GPS to see if you have maxed out that block.
To qualify for academic credit, internships, whether paid or unpaid, must be a professional work experience related to the student's business major.
Internship Credit for Students with F-1 Visa Status
- MCOB undergraduate students with F-1 status have the option of applying for the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or the Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorizations.
- Beginning summer 2018, MCOB undergrads may apply for the CPT work authorization two (2) times however; this is strictly limited to rising juniors and seniors.
- In addition to the Internship Application for Academic Credit - students must submit applications for CPT or OPT through ISSA; information can be found at: https://issa.nd.edu/
Internship Application Procedures
- Before the start of the internship, students must submit the Internship Application for Academic Credit found on the Dashboard on our website: https://mendozaugrad.nd.edu/. This application must include a copy of your Offer Letter/Email and a Job Description.
- Students will receive an automatic email confirmation when the application is submitted and should retain this email as proof of submission.
- Students will receive a second email when/if their application is approved or if more information is required.
- Students must submit a reflection paper about their internship; guidelines and deadlines are listed below.
- After the internship - employers must contact the Internship Coordinator and confirm that the student has completed the internship successfully.
To complete the requirements for the internship credit and to receive a satisfactory mark (S) in either BAUG 25000 or BAUG 35500, students must submit a reflection paper about their summer internship experience. This paper should be between 3-5 pages (minimum 900 words) and must contain:
- Information on how you found this internship
- Description of the employment responsibilities
- Discussion of how this employment related to your major and/or business curriculum
- Professional skills and/or knowledge that you learned from this internship experience
- Description of courses that you had taken that were particularly useful in your internship
- Description of courses that would have been useful prior to the employment
- Insight into this industry and how this has impacted your career plans
- Recommendation for other students to do this internship? Other majors?
Internship Reflection Papers must be submitted online HERE: https://nd.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8udkXT63h80gHw9
Students must contact Dr. Gina Shropshire if company policies interfere with the requirements to submit a reflection paper.
2018 IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT: Thursday, JUNE 21, 2018
DEADLINE TO DROP BAUG 25000 or BAUG 35500: Monday, JULY 9, 2018
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT REFLECTION paper: Wednesday, JULY 25, 2018 by 11:59 pm
QUESTIONS? Contact Internship Coordinator:
Dr. Gina Shropshire, 101 Mendoza College of Business, Notre Dame, IN, 46556, email@example.com, 574-631-6602